Sunday, August 02, 2009

Fort McClellan, Alabama is falling apart.


Here is the army base that I went to basic training at in June of 1985 and I left a soldier in October of 1985 days after my 19th birthday. Fort McClellan in Anniston, Alabama was a One Station Unit Training base(OSUT) for the Army's Chemical Warfare Corps and Military Police Corps.

It is a shame that the military base that were close as part of the BRAC are falling apart and being over grown with weeds. I wonder how many of us proud MP's have passed through the gates of this once great military base. How many of us fought in Grenada Panama, Desert Storm, Iraqi Freedom and or Afghanistan?

5 comments:

kenneth60 said...

My father as a Corporal was stationed at Ft McClellan during WWII as a Tank TI. He remenised about the Italian and German POWs. Those POWs were detailed as cooks, bakers, artists, craftsmen, etc.

Filmmakers Lab LLC said...

Did my basic training at Fort McClellan in 1986 and in the process of writing a book about it. I had to go online and do some research as it has been many years since I had been back there. I have to tell you, it was very difficult to see what the base looks like now. It brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for posting this it brought back many memories.

Eric J. Burton said...

Lena I would be interested in reading your book when you're done. When I get a chance I am going to back and take a tour. I live in ND so it's going to be a while.

michael said...

I once past these thresholds of this once great fort in 1981 when i came here as a basic training recruit. its hard to see it overgrown with weeds. I pulled guard duty on reily rec field for basic training exercise. its a shame that it closed. SSG michael marciniak 1981-1995 washington army national guard, washington state.

smithlara1 said...

like this topic but pls let me know where i can get more detail information.

Cobalt Supercharged Parts