Sunday, September 28, 2008

Pictures from the North Dakota Duck opener...


I think we can honestly say that our group did ok, this past weekend for the North Dakota Waterfowl opener. Honestly this season will probably not go down as a top five year in my book. I have seen better but it is drier than past years as well. If you look at the pictures you will not see a lot of Mallards, a lot of the ducks we shot this weekend were Teal and Gadwells. The Snows are starting to come down already and I shot a Hutchinson's Goose as well this weekend. Hutchinson's geese don't come down this early in the season, based from my past experience.

That is not to say that there aren't birds this year. This weekend we were lucky to get on some land that will be posted next weekend. The Birds are there for the taking if you don't mind rolling up your sleeves and getting dirty. You are going to have to do a little scouting. Frankly, there isn't a lot of water in many places that used to be hot spots. On my drive back from Devils Lake I checked out some areas in Lakota and Michigan area and the water has definately dried up in a few places or has soy beans or some kind of a crop surrounding it.

Yesterday I saw a big flock of Canadian Honkers sitting on a field 100 yards from the round surrouned by unharvested soy beans. I swear Geese are crafty animals.
Post a Comment