Sunday, November 19, 2006

Deer Season Over.

Mission accomplished.


The North Dakota Deer Hunting season was interesting to say the least, lots of people hunting and not a lot of deer to be seen. The deer have really been hard to pin down and see out in the open. Without any snow, it's really hard to track the deer and see where they have been. It is also hard to know if anyone has walked an area you're about to hunt. It seem that more and more, there are getting to be less opportunities to bag a deer. No Hunting signs are more prevalent. One thing I have noticed this season is a lot of deer hunters have trouble getting out of their vehicles and walking, I find it hard to bag a deer on the road.

In retrospect, I was lucky to tag a couple of nice deer but we had to work our butts off to do it. I have to thank the guys that I hunted with for getting me into some nice places to hunt.

New Gun

Before the season I decided to change things up a bit as I traded my old rifle a 270 caliber Remington 7400 (it had a tendency to jam) in for another gun a Savage Bolt action 270. I am very happy with the new gun to say the least. It was different having to work the bolt after each shot but it caused me to be more selective with my shots.

2 comments:

Kris.... said...

yes i totally agree, it was hard hunting this year....... I filled my tag, and my hubby filled two tags. But my brother didn't get his gratis tag filled, and my dad didn't fill one doe tag, but he did fill his gratis and other doe tag. Oh and my mum filled her gratis tag, BUT we had to do a lot of walking. Had to just about walk on top of them to jump them out. We hunted north of devil lake......

Anywho saw your blog and had to comment since i also hunt. Or i'm a huntress as i call myself cause i'm female. LOL

Hope next year is a better year but I think the weather had a lot to do with it this year.

~kris

Kris.... said...

PS..... I shot my deer with a 270 remington bolt action and made a 350 yard shot! I really like the 270 and while I used hubby's gun for this shot, next season my .243 is going to stay in the gun cabinet, and i'm gonna get my own 270..... It's a darn good hunting rifle......

LOL But it gets better cause the darn thing just fell right on over. Yep tipped right over, it's legs twitched twice and it was dead. After I gutted it we found the bullet went right through the heart and both lungs. It was an awesome shot. And yes I field dress my own, i don't depend on any of the men in the hunting party to do my work.

~giggles~ I've only been hunting for 4 years and i'm totally hooked !!!!!

~kris