Thursday, February 26, 2009

Conrad and Dorgan want the Fairness Doctrine

Wouldn't you know it, that the two North Dakota senators are against free speech, they voted for the Fairness Doctrine and are against free speech. Last summer I wrote an email to Senator Byron Dorgan, Senator Kent Conrad and Congressman Earl Pomeroy, expressing my concerns about some on the left wanting to re-enact the fairness doctrine. The only one that I got a letter back from was Senator Conrad who basically said that he was all for the Fairness Doctrine, the other two didn't even acknowledge my email. I guess they no longer have to address their constitutes concerns anymore.
Today, the Senate voted 87-11 to adopt the DeMint Amendment, which would prohibit the FCC from reinstating the Fairness Doctrine, a defunct policy that regulated conflicting views on the airwaves.

Introduced by Sens. DeMint and Thune, the amendment was added to the D.C. Voting Rights bill.

Last week, the White House confirmed President Obama’s opposition to reimposing the Fairness Doctrine.

Alex Isenstadt has provided a list of the Democratic Senators who voted 'no': Jeff Bingaman (N.M.), Kent Conrad (N.D.), Byron Dorgan (N.D.), Dianne Feinstein (Calif.), Tom Harkin (Iowa), Tim Johnson (S.D.), John Kerry (Mass.), Jack Reed (R.I.), John D. Rockefeller (W.Va.), Bernie Sanders (Vt.), Sheldon Whitehouse (R.I.).

No comments: